Here are some of my latest stories regarding Italian bureaucracy. I originally wrote these as emails to my sisters, but then decided they might be blog worthy. Enjoy!
April 20, 2011 -
My latest trip to a local government office (this morning) resulted in
me learning that the town had changed our address. And apparently it
happened before I applied for residency, so I should have known but my
landlord didn't tell me (because he didn't know). Technically because
the town is changing all the addresses in our area (because our town
won't stop building new apartments), my documentation should get changed
automatically, but because of the timing of things I suspect it won't.
So now I'm technically a resident of an apartment up the street and all
my documents indicate that. I might have to apply for a new residency
certificate at some point (which has taken me the last 2 months to get)
with the new house number. Seriously?? But, the funny thing is that
everyone here thinks it pretty much doesn't matter. All my documents
are consistent, and the postman now knows where we live so technically
he will deliver all our mail to us, regardless of whether it says number
10 or number 148. But as I said to Tyler this morning, "What the
sh*t?". Ahh Italy, you never cease to amaze me.
April 21, 2011 -
Had another awesome experience today. I had an appointment at the
Questura Office of Immigration to obtain my permesso di soggiorno. This
is kind of like a residency permit, and the consulate tells you it's
the first thing you should apply for when you arrive in Italy (note that
I have been here for 2 months now). I did actually apply for this back
February, but my application resulted only in an automatically
generated appointment at the Questura. I couldn't go to my original
automatically generated appointment because I was going to be in
Brussels for work (earlier this month). So I was able to change my
appointment to today. Appointment was supposed to be at 8:50am. I
arrived at 8:40am to find a line of at least 10 people outside a locked
door to the Questura. When the opened the door they just gave everybody
a number in the order in which they entered (aka appointment time was
essentially meaningless). I got called back around 10:30. They took my
documents and photos, finger printed me, then sent me to a different
room where I was finger printed again, and then told me I was done.
When I asked where my permesso di soggiorno was, they said I had to come
back to get it when it was ready... which they suggested would be some
time after the 10th of June. Seriously???? This was supposed to be my
last document, and I couldn't even get it today, I have to back to the
stinkin' Questura in over a month. And, to make this even more fun, my Visa is only good for a year.
Which means next year I will need a new Visa... and yes, after that a
new permesso di soggiorno. Oh, and the address on my permesso is of course Via Giulio Cesare 10 :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment