Friday, November 4, 2011

Days 8-10 (Nov 1-3): Deboche to Dingboche, Dingboche to Thukla, Thukla to La Pyramide


I waited a couple days to write, so I’ll do my best to remember the events of the last few days.  On Nov 1 we walked from Deboche to Dingboche.  We started the morning by visiting a nearby Buddhist female monastery, and that was pretty interesting.  The walk to Dingboche was nice, but we definitely went up in altitude, climbing to about 4300 meters.  By the time we reached the lodge, I had a pretty wicked headache.  I assume it was due to the altitude.  We had hot tea and eventually dinner, and then went to sleep.


When I woke up on Nov 2, my headache was still lingering a bit but it was not nearly as bad.  I talked with Gianpietro and we agreed it was fine for me to move forward.  That morning, we made a very slow ascent to the small village of Thukla.  The views along the way were really spectacular and humbling.  The Himalayas are really incredible.  You can tell from the photo below, I felt pretty good that morning :)

In Thukla we had lunch and in the early afternoon we began our ascent from 4600 meters to the Pyramid monitoring station at about 5,050 meters.  Unfortunately, during the initial part of the ascent my headache came back as well as a bit of a stomachache.  I consulted with our trekking guide, and he spoke to Gianpietro (who was in Thukla at the time) by walkie-talkie and we agreed I should descend back to Thukla to rest and make a slower adjustment to the altitude.  This was an option Gianpietro and I had discussed earlier in the day, should my headache resume.  I was disappointed to leave my group but I knew it was the right thing to do, so I descended with our trekking guide.  My colleagues were very kind at that moment, handing over various articles of warm clothing to get me through the afternoon and evening.  I ended up staying the night in Thukla and Gianpietro stayed there with me. I did not feel great during the afternoon and evening due to my head and stomachaches, but Gianpietro took good care of me and by the morning I was feeling better. 

We took a slow morning, hanging out at the lodge for a few hours, and around 11am we started a verrrrrry slow ascent to the Pyramid.  Gianpietro was constantly asking me how I was doing, and thankfully my headache did not return; however, I am inclined to subtitle this portion of my post "Climbing 400 meters while fighting the flu".  We arrived at the Pyramid around 4pm, and all of my colleagues greeted us with open arms.  I am happy to be here now and will be heading to dinner shortly.  I plan to rest for a couple days (given that we are still waiting for our instrument to arrive from Kathmandu) and I think that will be very nice.  I have free wifi here, so hopefully I can connect with some of you by Skype or email more often now!

No comments:

Post a Comment